Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Invisible Knapsack

In class we had to go over a few questions. Our question was on the Invisible knapsack of white privilege. What the invisible knapsack really means is the privileges that white people get that they don't even think about and take advantage of every day. There are many different examples that people could come up with but the one that Dr. Spencer mentioned in class is a great example of this. When a person gets pulled over for "driving while black." This is not the only time that I have ever heard someone say this and I do believe it is a problem in today's society. This is something that white people don't even think about or worry about while driving down the road. But others they do have to worry about this. My example  of this would be the fact that white people that walk into a store or grocery store don't have to worry about being followed or even watched over while shopping. I have seen first hand one of my friends get followed around in a store because he was black. Also here at BGSU I was with a group of my black friends and I was the first one to walk into the bar then they weren't aloud in for various reasons.I feel that this is so unfair and really should be noticed by people and then maybe something will change.

Another thing that we talked about in class today was Don Imus. What he said on his radio report was completely unnecessary. He claimed that it was a joke. There is a time and place for people to joke and I believe that on national radio that is not a type of joke to say. People pick up on the things that reporters shouldn't say when they are on live television or radio. For example I can think of two instances on Ncaa Gameday coverage this passed season when things shouldn't have been said. One was Lee Corso he drops the F bomb on national television and the other was a special guest Brian Wilson when he makes an inappropriate comment on the mascots. However these statements aren't racist these are "jokes" that shouldn't be said on love coverage.

Post By Kane Godfrey

Lee Corso
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M35SPhRD0Iw&feature=related

Brian Wilson Start at 2:00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcqR7t6gFvc

6 comments:

  1. Comment done by Trent Ringle

    When looking at the invisible knapsack I also have seen this occur first hand, in high school after a tournament on our way home we would stop at a fast food restaurant. When waiting in line the person at the cash register would call next to take the order of the person next in line. There were 7 of us still in line waiting and I was one of two white kids that hadn’t ordered yet and was near the end of the line but the person at the register looked right at me and said can I take you order. The woman completely ignored my black friends who were standing right in front of me. At the time, I did not think much of it because I was hungry but now I know that what she did was wrong. She took my order and not there’s just because I was white and they were not.

    The most recent example I can think of similar to what Don Imus did was the statement made by Fox 5 anchor Ross Shimabuku about Danica Patrick. He described Patrick as a B***h on nation television and goes as far as sarcastically talking about her. This is an unacceptable circumstance that Shimabuku did just because he does not like Patrick does not give him the right to verbal abuse her in the manner that he did.


    Ross Shimabuku

    http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2012/02/daytona-500-nascar-danica-patrick-sports-anchor-apologizes-sexist-slur

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly, I think that people including government agencies are getting more sensitive about topics and subjects on television and radio. Obviously, there are some things that are clearly offensive than others and should not be said. For example, what Imus said towards the Rutgers basketball team. However, there are a lot of racism and sexism on air that is not always brought to attention. I can say i have never heard of the Imus show until he made that comment. So people actually increased his popularity and counter acted their original intentions to probably get him fired. If there were not racial, sexist, and prejudicial things on air it may not be as popular. There is a good boundary between shows, however it will be very impossible to make everybody happen on every show.

    - Nathan Latta

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that white privilege is a concern in society today. With all the evolving and technology and "equality" we are supposed to have today, we still need to find a solution to this problem. We have an African American President but we still dont have equality.

    As for the Don Imus discussion, he was completely in the wrong. There is absolutely no room for this. I want to point out that these issues are not only directed towards African Americans but other ethnicities as well. Just a month or so ago Floyd Mayweather Jr. Made some ignorant comments towards Jeremy Lin in the middle of Linsanity. It all goes both ways and it's absolutely unnecessary. As for the Corso comment and Wilson comment, both were wrong to say what they did but I also feel it was less offensive because it wasn't directed towards any person or persons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Post by Nick Daverio

    I agree with Kane on the both situations. I too have personally seen occasions of the invisible knapsack. While attending some clubs back at home on multiple occasions. While waiting in line to get in I have seen bouncers not let in quite a few African Americans into the club but let in the white people in front of them and behind them.

    I also don't believe that Don Imus was trying to be funny and just got caught up in the moment and was completely wrong with what he said. As for Corso and Brian Wilson, I believe they just got caught up in the moment and did not mean anything by it and should not be taken out of context.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To follow up on the "Driving while Black" statement, after we talked about this in class, I saw three different cars in BG that were pulled over, the drivers of which all appeared to be black. I could not believe it!

    ReplyDelete