Monday, February 6, 2012

Super Bowl

The week leading up to the big game sprung questions of whether or not the rematch could live up to the first Super Bowl between the great Tom Brady and Eli Manning. I feel our questions were answered as this Super Bowl between the Patriots and Giants was just as good if not better. I feel the commercials were overall not quite as funny as years before and I will touch base on the halftime show and how it is a joke. First let's focus on the game. One thing that really stood out to me was the uncharacteristic penalties by both teams. The Giants had one or two delay of games and they had to take two timeouts in the fourth quarter to save themselves from getting a delay of game. As for the Patriots, they had the 12 men on the field in the beginning of the game that cost them, of course Tom Brady had the intentional grounding that resulted in a safety, and they also had an offside in the fourth quarter I believe. Both teams pride themselves in discipline and both teams had lack there of. Now look at the fourth quarter drops by the New England Patriots. With nine minutes to go I believe on first down Wes Welker dropped the seam pass. Second down, Aaron Hernandez drops an easy completion over the middle and on third down Deion Branch has the ball but drops it after being hit by the safety. Someone had to step up and make a play but no one did. My last point I want to make about the game itself is Eli Manning is a winner! I thought for sure he was done for in the middle of the fourth quarter. He was short hopping receivers and every throw was wobbly. Sure enough, Eli in the clutch is cool and collected and like he has all year led his team down the field for another fourth quarter victory. How can you be upset with that Super Bowl? How can you beat the game being decided on a hail mary as time expires? The answer is you can't. I don't know what it is about the Super Bowl that brings out these dramatic finishes but I for one can not wait for next year already. Let's go Browns! Moving on to the commercials. I feel they have been on a slight decline over the past couple years but there are still a few select quality commercials this year. I loved the M&M commercial. I thought it was hilarious and dealt more with our generation's humor. I also loved the Bud Light here Wego commercial. It was funny to see a dog running all over to bring beer to a crowd of people, I wish that dog was mine. Other commercials that amused me were the sketchers commercial with the dogs and I got a chuckle out of the. At commercial with the vampires solely because of how dumb it was. Finally let's look at the halftime show with Madonna. After the concert was over they came over the sound system and thanked everyone for watching the halftime show. I felt they should thank me for watching it because I felt it was a waste of my time. For one she was lip singing the entire show. I for one take pride in singers providing me with live entertainment or at least give it their best and not cop out. There has also been a big buzz about M.I.A flipping off the camera. I didn't even know who M.I.A was before that show so I give her credit, any publicity is good publicity right? I feel Madonna still is kicking strong but felt is was just a bad choice for the Super Bowl which is supposed to be family friendly. This is the same woman that sings Like a Virgin. This is the same woman that made out with Brittany Spears and Christina Aguleira during a show. I don't care if the show will be corny with someone like the Beach Boys or something, they at least are better role models in my opinion. That is all I have to say. I know this was a long post but thanks for bearing in there with me. Post by Jared King.

6 comments:

  1. I also apologize for the lack of structured paragraphs. I did this post on my IPad and apparently it didn't want to add the spaces in like it was supposed to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jared I enjoyed reading this post. First and foremost this was a GREAT superbowl. Main reason being that I am a Giants fan, because a guy that I know personally started middle linebacker for the Giants. The biggest play that stuck out to me was the INT by Chase Blackburn (the guy I know personally) when he coverd Gronkowski all the way down feild. That right there showed tramendous ability as a linebacker staying with one of the top Tightends in the league. If anyone wants a very inspirational story read this http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/17142948/biggest-play-of-super-bowl-xlvi-belongs-to-unlikely-hero-blackburn

    When your back is against the wall never give up.

    Also with the Madona performance I think that the viewers at home were very upset with this because you could tell very easily she was lip syncing. Like Dr. Spencer said in class today is go out on a limb and say you would make the best performance. If I had to chose a performer I would honestly choose Justin Beiber. No I personally do not like Justin Beiber, but he has blown up the music industry lately. If you want viewers, this kid would get almost every teenage girl to watch it, not many teenage girls would watch the superbowl any other way. This would also get their parents to watch it because the teenage girl wants too. So I thats why I believe he would make the number of viewers dramatically change.

    As for the commercials, I was very dissapointed and I'll leave it at that...Comment by Kane Godfrey

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also forgot to mention that when Madonna was performing with Cee Lo Green during halftime I couldn't help but to notice the random piece of hair coming out of her chest. Did anyone else notice this? Here's a picture I found.
    http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&biw=1366&bih=677&tbm=isch&tbnid=f6krj1NStRmzbM:&imgrefurl=http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/293532/20120206/video-photos-madonna-super-bowl-halftime-show.htm&docid=JZOowA4CJa2n_M&imgurl=http://img.ibtimes.com/www/data/images/full/2012/02/06/226864.jpg&w=950&h=708&ei=zjAwT7WCKuWvsQKH24GCDg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=909&vpy=94&dur=203&hovh=194&hovw=260&tx=201&ty=127&sig=105774706986242603639&page=1&tbnh=137&tbnw=179&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:0

    Did it get caught in her zipper and get cut off?
    Comment by Kane Godfrey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This year’s Super Bowl was one of the better ones I have seen in recent years. I really enjoy a game where the two teams keep the game close all the way until the end. I feel that when one team is winning by 20 or more points it is just a boring game to watch. If I was at a game like that, I would be upset I paid all this money to watch a blow out game. The reason sports fan attend games is to see their team be competitive against another team. When watch the game you could see the excitement in the stadium coming from both the Giants, and Patriot fans. As for the commercials and the halftime show I really didn’t watch any of the halftime show I was busying doing other stuff and did not really care to watch Madonna. The commercials for the most part to mean were very interesting and entertaining. The one I found most enjoyable was the coca cola one with the bear who cannot get a handle on the coke bottle and ends up running over all the other bears. In an overall conclusion the game itself was an unbelievable one, the commercials were alright, and I really wish there would be a good halftime performance rather than what we have been seeing .

      This comment was done by Trent Ringle

      Delete
  4. I agree with Jared about the game living up to our expectations of the rematch from 2007. There is nothing better than the last game of the year going all the way until the end. Even though the first half was kind of boring, the second half and especially 4th quarter made up for that. As for the halftime show, I also agree with the guys about the fact that Madonna was lip syncing was not good entertainment. I also agree that the halftime show should cover all demographics but that is very difficult to do in this era because of all the differences. I agree with Kane, I honestly can't stand Justin Beiber unless he is freestyling. He would bring in a huge demographic to watch the Super Bowl with all the teenage girls and girls in general. I also felt the commercials were not as great as they have been and that is understandable with how much they are costing these days. My favorite was the M&M commercial for sure because it played perfect to us college kids.

    -Nick Daverio

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jared, You said you would like to see the Beach Boys? Or that they would be better role models than Madonna. I don't know about that but I would love to see them teaming with Maroon 5 as they did in the Grammys. My guess is that we will never see that!

    ReplyDelete