Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Too many Quarterbacks?

After watching the group go and present about RGIII I thought to myself wow what a great quarterback he is going to be. Right along with all the other quarterbacks that are going into the draft right now. As we see the development of these young guys get better and better and more and more teams choosing to start these young quarterbacks what is going to happen in the NFL in a few years. Are teams going to start holding quarterbacks for 2-3 years and then picking a new one up in the draft. There are high number of great quarterbacks entering this draft and there are still so many good quarterbacks that are still in college. I believe that there could start to be too many good quarterbacks and not enough teams to fill quarterback spots. Like I said I think this is because of how well the young quarterbacks are becoming in college. They are getting better and better as the years go on. They are starting to learn more offenses and becoming more deadly weapons, especially in the spread or wildcat formation. There are many more dual threat quarterbacks because of all the situations and I could very easily see more NFL teams turning to these offenses. Does anyone else see this as a problem? Could there be an abundance of quarterbacks here in the kind of near future? I hope it doesn't happen because I like watching all of these talented athletes battle it out. Also I saw on ESPN yesterday that Tim Tebow's new job for the Jets is the punt protector. I think that this is a waste of time for Tebow and a waste of money to put him there for the Jets.

Post by Kane Godfrey

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely agree with Kane. I think the offenses being run in college are mirroring what the professional level wants to accomplish and run at the pro level therefore the quarterbacks are standing out earlier on. The NFL has become a passing league and the spread offense is become more and more relevant at the college level showcasing the quarterbacks skills. I am not sure what they may do in the future because I agree that there may be an overload on quarterbacks in the NFL in the near future. There are a couple of solutions that come to my mind. One being they do nothing and many quarterbacks will be kicked to the curb and have to find a new living. You will be to the point where every team has a star quarterback and even their backups will be proven well rounded quarterbacks as well. The other thing I could see happening is the NFL expanding with more teams. I could see them adding a team in Los Angeles, as well as possibly London, possibly a Canadian city such as Toronto or Montreal, and even possibly places such as Oklahoma City or Portland. There are many big cities that would be willing to accept an NFL team in and I think it can only bring in more revenue for the NFL. There are many great players from the college ranks that never make it in the NFL because teams fill up so quickly and expanding the NFL would not only increase revenue but give more great players the chance to shine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last comment was by Jared King.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Comment by Nick Daverio

    I agree with both statements by Kane and Jared. There does seem to be a trend of more NFL ready quarterbacks coming out of college and think that is because of the offenses colleges are running in their systems. I also believe another factor for that is due to players being coached better and being prepared for the NFL. I remember watching ESPN a couple days before the Super Bowl and remember Mike and Mike talking about the topic of possibly adding 1 more team in the league. I actually believe that would be a good idea to allow more players a chance to show off their talents instead of being backups on teams with already good players. There are a lot of really good backups in the league but they are just not given the proper chance to start because the starter is a big name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would agree that quarterbacks are being better prepared for life in the NFL. Many college programs have built their offense based on schemes used in the NFL, such as the West Coast offense. Vice versa many NFL teams have adjusted their offensive packages to include gadget plays for more versatile quarterbacks. I agree that the elite quarterbacks that are coming out of elite programs are more well prepared to start right away in the NFL, like Cam Newton from Auburn, Matt Ryan from Boston College, and now Andrew Luck from Stanford. I do disagree with the belief that at some point there will be too many good or great quarterbacks. For one some great college quarterbacks just simply do not make it in the pros, they don’t have the right stuff or they are thrown into a bad situation. Which brings me to my next point as long as teams such as the Browns exist there will be a need for QBs. Certain systems under poor management and coaching are always looking for the latest college star to lead their team. I think if you look at college elite quarterbacks such as Colt McCoy (at the time the winningest college QB), Matt Leinhart, and Vince Young. All three QBs lead there team to the National Championship game (two of them winning it) yet all three have as of now been seen as a disappointment. As long as the NFL is a brutal sport with the player turnover it has (avg. player only playing 3 years) there will always be shoes to fill on teams looking for a “Franchise Quarterback”.

    -Tony Fritsch

    ReplyDelete